I have been so excited for my new niche this weekend! I've been wanting to get started so badly that I kept going to the site looking for the new questions, but new questions are released every Monday. I didn't want to prepare a question for last week for this week. I want to keep this week for this week and next week for next week etc. So, I sighed and distracted myself with other things (like Rogue Legacy). Only then did it occur to me that the questions came out a midnight! This means I can start planning now if I want to, and I really do, and maybe even get my first question out on Tuesday. I've only looked at the international questions, and there's already a few that I'm interested in. This is why it's awesome to be a night owl! You get the first crack at things! You could think of it as the earliest bird getting the worm!
What Do I Want to Tackle This Week?
Of the 20 possible questions, I can only settle on three for four. I don't have the time, or the interest, to do all 20. To get me a little head start, I've narrowed down the 20 to these possible 10 questions. I don't want to give away too much, after all. There still needs to be some element of surprise!
- Does Mahmoud Ahmadinejad leave office with a positive legacy?
- Why is South Africa supporting Robert Mugabe?
- Is an Egyptian government led by its military better for the West than a government led by the Muslim Brotherhood?
- Is nuclear power the key to China’s economic future?
- Are Afghanistan’s security forces strong enough to contain the Taliban?
- Would a government shutdown over funding Obamacare hurt the GOP in the 2014 midterms?
- How should the U.S. respond to Russia’s sheltering of Edward Snowden?
- Should the national horse slaughter ban of 2006 be repealed?
- What changes should be made to America’s food stamp program?
- How can President Obama get his economic agenda through Congress?
I Might Even Be More Excited Tomorrow
It is getting late, so I'll probably be heading to bed in an hour or so (maybe, that's a very big maybe). I don't know, I did find last week's questions much more interesting than this week's questions. However, I do think once I get some rest, have a productive Monday, and get started on my very first question, I'll be much more excited. I'll be taking the time to learn about current events of the day, to sort through the partisan spin and come down on the arguments and truths that answer the question. These are the questions that ought to be answered on cable news shows and in commentary, something beyond a simple reporting of the facts and providing that liberal/conservative perspective that the audience is seeking. It's questions like these that really get the discussion going and really determine what the next steps should be for these different issues.
I'm Going to Have to Reorganize My Categories
I just realized that nearly all of the categories I have now won't be applicable to this new niche, meaning that I'll have to redo all of them. Or, I'll at least have to create a whole bunch of new ones and fiddle around with the widget so that only the categories related to current affairs show up on the home page and such. I'm pretty sure it's possible to delete categories. I know you can simply change the names. I'm not sure if you can pick and choose the categories that you want to feature in the widget. Perhaps I'll find all this out in the coming weeks as I write these new posts and create these new categories.